Monday, August 12, 2013

8.12.13 Post It Monday

Fail-Proof Potato Soup

Here is another recipe my boyfriend loves. It's most definitely not the healthiest recipe, but it's pretty easy to make and very tasty. And it's perfect for fall, which is on it's way.

I've made this recipe a few times, and it always turns out different, but in a good way. So no matter how you make this soup, it always turns out good. I would attribute this fail-proof quality of this recipe to the bacon. Anything with bacon always tastes good.



Ingredients:
1 medium onion; chopped
1 stock of celery; chopped
1 clove of garlic; minced    OR   a few teaspoons of garlic powder (I don't measure the seasonings, I just put them in there until there's a good balance)
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 lb bacon (cooked and diced)
3 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups of half and half cream
Your choice of seasonings (again, I don't measure the seasonings, I just keep putting them in there until it tastes good)

In a soup pot, place all the ingredients except the cream and bacon. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft. While waiting for the ingredients in the pot to cook, fry the bacon. Wait for the bacon to cool and cut into small picies. When the potatoes are ready, add the cream and bacon and continue to cook until piping hot but do not let boil. Serve with your choice of garnish (cheese, parsley, etc.)


If you are looking for a healthier alternative, you could try replacing the bacon with seasoned chicken, and the half and half cream with 2% milk.  This recipe is also good after a big ham dinner. After Easter dinner, my aunt gave me the juices left from the ham, and I used that instead of chicken broth to make the soup. It was sooooooo good! I would definitely recommend doing that if you have the chance.







No comments:

Post a Comment