Friday, August 23, 2013

8.23.13 DIY Friday

Sheet to Curtain Tutorial

For Christmas this past year, my dad got me a sewing machine, and I've been in love ever since. I'm no sewing-pro yet, but every chance I get to practice, I take it. My dad is in need of new curtains to match his new bed set. He's been using a green sheet for the past couple of months while we were looking for matching fabric, when all of a sudden it dawned on us... the sheet he's been using as a curtain actually matches quite nicely with his bed set. So I converted his make-shift sheet curtain into actual curtains!


Materials:
Sheet
Measuring tape
Pins
Thread and needle/sewing machine

Instructions:

Step 1: measure your window. My dad's window is 60" wide and 50" tall.

Step 2: measure and cut your fabric. I measured mine to be 90" wide and 60" tall, and then I cut an extra 2 inches to allow for seams.
Here is what I started with, as modeled by the very talented Sophie. 


Step 3: pin and sew the two rectangles of fabric you have

Step 3: fold one end over to create a slot for the curtain rod to go. Pin and sew. 
My dad waiting for his curtains to be finished. The anticipation was too much to handle. 


Step 4: hang up your curtains and enjoy! 

TA-DA! And look how nicely these match his comforter. 
This would be awesome to do to vintage sheets. Or if you buy a new bedding set and want perfectly matching curtains, just pick up an extra sheet of the bed set collection. It'll match perfectly and will be cheaper than buying the actual matching curtains, and it'll be much easier than going to the fabric store to try to find matching fabric. 

Happy DIY-ing!

No comments:

Post a Comment